The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28) - Terry Pratchett
Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

I remember being given a copy of Reaper Man when I was a wee boy. When Death took on the prototype mechanical harvester, my first major author-crush began and it's never let-up.

In my teenage years I re-read my favourite Discworld books so many times that their spines cracked and pages fell out. Sir Terry will always be an idol, an icon and a source of inspiration.

But somehow this one passed me by. I think it's because it's a stand-alone within the Discworld universe, and those have never been my favourites. Also, I'm not yet sold on the young-adult Discworld books. Before The Amazing Maurice I'd only read The Wee Free Men and I wasn't convinced, so I felt little urgency to grab a copy.

This is a good book!

It's a great concept (talking cat, rats and sidekick human boy scamming villages as a rat plague and the Piper).
It's funny.
It's got great dark touches for a y-a book.
It explores corners of the Discworld map that hadn't been fully tapped.
Maurice is a great character.
Dangerous Beans is an amazing name!
The Mr Bunsy satire element is done superbly.

As a huge Pratchett fan, I would read his descriptions of paint drying. This - this goes down like cold lemonade on a hot summer day. I devoured this book like it was covered in Nutella.

So why only three stars?

(This is almost an exact parrot of Dan's review)
- but the rat-king felt tacked on at the end. Great scenes for sure, but the story felt more episodic than cohesive.
- Keith, (Maurice's pet human) just never got more that a 'meh' from me, my heart was all with the rats come the end.
- had I read it back when I was young, we might have gelled better, but as it was I felt like I was standing outside the story-circle, imagining how a youngster would enjoy it, rather than being truly gripped myself.

I've only got a couple more Discworld books I've not read, both part of the Tiffany Aching y-a series. And then I will (after many years of negligence) be 100% up-to-date with the series!

After this I read: Jitterbug Perfume