Bear's Magic Moon - Suzanne Pinner, Karen Sapp
Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

I'm currently reading The Magic Faraway Tree to my son as his bedtime story. He's nearly one year old and I enjoy doing the voices and dramatic intonation while he has his last bottle. I couldn't find his book tonight - my wife had tidied up the baby's room - so I grabbed this as a back-up book.

Bear's Magic Moon is a sweet little story, with lots of nice action words for emphasis during a read-aloud. Little Polar Bear is scared of the dark and wont go to the full-moon party. But then the Wise Old Bear makes her see the magic of the moon and she has a great party. The End. The pictures are very pretty.

I had two issues with the book. The story is so short, that I could have read it twice before the baby finished his bottle, and that's with taking it slow with my best gentle-narrator voice.

And the blurb on the back is gibberish! It's the same blurb that's listed for the book on Amazon (and here).
Little Polar Bear is afraid of the dark. He won’t even go outside to see the moon with his dad. Wise Old Bear explains that the night can be very beautiful. But will Little Polar Bear believe him? Come and see how brave a bear can be in this magical, moonlit story.
1.) Little Polar Bear is a girl.

2.) Wise Old Bear explains nothing. He just says, come outside into the dark and the little girl trusts him enough to face her fears. Only after she's already amazed by the full moon does the Wise Old Bear explain anything.

3.) The question of whether Little Polar Bear does, or does not, believe the Wise Old Bear is never raised. It's a moot point. So why it features so prominently in the back-cover is beyond me.

Madness, I tell thee. Udder madness.

We have a few of these Igloo picture books that were given to us as a present for the baby and I'm looking forward to when he's old enough to look at the pictures with us - at the moment he quite likes turning the pages, but would rather tear them out than look at Bear's Magic Moon.

After this I read: Neuromancer